THE PROCESS REQUIREMENTS
REQUIREMENTS FOR RESEARCHERS
- Contact information
- The research title
- One sentence description
- Photo of researcher
- The NU invention disclosure number
- Year started
- Research description
- Funding request
Click here to view the information required to complete the slide deck.
Click here to view the information required to complete executive summary.
Note: Each researcher recipient of funding will sign a Researcher Acknowledgment. If a researcher recipient’s company licenses rights to IP that results from the funded research, the company will also sign a convertible note or SAFE.
SLIDE DECK REQUIREMENTS FOR RESEARCHERS
- The cover page should have the name of your research and a one sentence description
- Include a brief explanation of what you do and what your vision is.
- Describe the focus and purpose of the research and the current stage of development.
- Briefly introduce the researchers including pictures of the team members, titles, and a short summary of prior employment that showing domain experience, track record, and relevant expertise.
- Include the names of advisors and consultants.
- Identify the key positions that you still need to fill and why those positions are critical to growth.
- Clearly articulate the problem you are solving, who is experiencing the problem, a few statistics to show the scope and gravity of the problem. Also include why it’s important to address this problem now.
- The size of the market opportunity (units and $).
- The Total Addressable Market (TAM) and market drivers (dynamics).
- The possibility of defining a distinct product based on the invention.
- A description of your ideal customer.
Technology and Product
- A technology description with a focus on how the technology is unique or novel compared to other technologies.
- The stage of technology’s development (milestone reached)
- Preliminary data that validates the technology (results, or prototype testing and evidence that your technology or product works).
- The time to develop the technology.
- The approach and progress that you have achieved so far and milestones that you aim to hit.
- The product’s key differentiated features and product roadmap.
- An emphasis on the scalability of your product.
- The willingness of users to change from the current solutions.
- Potential applications
- Explain how your research solves customers’ problems and deliver specific benefits.
- Describe how the proposed solution differs from existing solutions.
- Explain the key advantages you have over the competition and how you differentiate your research from the competition.
- Highlight the “secret sauce” that you have and others don’t.
- Describe why the solution can’t be easily copied.
- Illustrate what other alternatives to your research exist in the market.
- Divide your competition into distinct categories
- Identify the barriers to entry
- If your competitors have been acquired, list acquisition prices and who acquired them.
- Include your current IP position, and key intellectual property rights your research has (patents, patents pending, copyrights, trademarks, domain names) and the possibility to strengthen it with other methods/mechanism.
- Please list patents and corresponding patent numbers for reference.
- Describe your regulatory route, timing and address the regulatory challenges associated with your research.
- Identify sales or early adopters using your technology (collaborations, pilots, customers, etc.).
- Identify the metrics that matter for your research to succeed.
- Include the time to liquidity (IPO, M&A, Licensing etc.), elected potential acquires/partners, and information about comparable exit transactions.
- Include the financial forecast for the next 3-5 years (revenue, expenses and headcount).
- Include your burn rate, break even point, product margins, and how many users you need to make a profit.
- Include your funding history (dilutive and non dilutive), funding plan, use of funds, and research milestones that can be implemented within budget and timeline.
- Summarize all the most interesting facts about your research, as well as any huge milestones or achievements you may have hit.
EXECUTIVE SUMmARY REQUIREMENTS FOR RESEARCHERS
- Research Description
- Target markets
- IP Status
- Regulatory path
- Exit strategy (potential acquiring companies)
- Major Milestones
- Funding status (non dilutive funding)
- Current investors
- Funds required
- Use of funds
- Financial forecast
- Management team
- Contact information